Monday, November 26, 2012

Looking Back to the Future


Student Journal Clipart

Today...
This semester, I have been surprised by the literacy levels of my students. They are able to verbally communicate their understandings when I interact with them one on one. They need a little bit of coaching and confidence building to conjure up the confidence to communicate their understandings, but once they have this, they are able to verbally justify their processes. In contrast, my students struggle demonstrating their understandings in writing. Most of their written assignments are done independently and as a consequence, they are more unsure of their performances. This insecurity is evident when I assess their written work; the ideas and concepts they verbally communicate are not represented by the written work they turn in.

In the future...
September 30, 2013
My literacy rich classroom looks like...
Students have been given the opportunity to demonstrate their understandings through visual representations. Students have designed their visual representations creatively on their own or have filled in graphic organizers that I provided. These choices  seem to interest the students.

My students are engaged in...
Students have enjoyed presenting their vocabulary terms to the class. Students enjoy demonstrating their understandings in front of the class as a whole.

They are reading...
My students have been reading ahead of the classroom schedule. Students preview the material that will be covered in the next class session.

December 15, 2013
My literacy rich classroom looks like...
Students are able to demonstrate their vocabulary understanding through games like Funglish, Taboo, and Catch Phrase.

My students are engaged in...
Students are engaged in the lessons I present. They are continuously asking questions and wanting a further explanation and reasoning.

They are reading...
My students are reading and researching their homework online. When they misunderstand an assignment, they look online for guidance an support.

They are writing...
Students are able to demonstrate their understandings in written form. Students demonstrate their understandings during independent work, quizzes and tests. When students are unsure about what is being asked of them, they are quick to ask for direction.

They are discussing...
Students are collaborating outside of class. They are working together to complete assignments outside of the classroom. When they do not understand what a question is asking, they come into ask for help or work with a tutor outside of school.

May 30, 2014
My literacy rich classroom looks like...
My students are fluent Mathematicians. My students can verbally communicate and document their understandings. They enjoy listening to my explanations and actively engaged.

My students are engaged in...
My students are engaged in after school tutoring. My students have mastered communicating their Mathematical understandings and want to work with others who are still struggling.

They are capable of independent learning in the following areas...
My students are able to research, read independently, collaborate with one another, present to the class as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment