Monday, November 5, 2012

Common Core

Creativity occurs throughout the lesson and into student’s independent work. As I conduct lessons in my class, I model creativity. Each example I use employs a different perspective. I model this way of thinking to build students up in their development. Creativity becomes apparent in Mathematics through the application of problem solving skills. Problem solving skills are necessary to come to any kind of a logical conclusion. Students attempt to facilitate these skills on their own through independent practice. As a teacher, it is important to foster this kind of developmental thinking through guiding questions and prompting discussions. The goal of creativity and problem solving skills is for students to think critically. Students need to prioritize the information they were given and apply the appropriate information to derive a logical conclusion.

To support and teach information literacy, I make students aware of the resources available to them for academic development. I inform my students on how to utilize their text book for support. I discuss the importance of reading the examples and working them out simultaneously. Students also need to be informed that the textbook aligns with online videos with actual demonstrations of each type of sample problem. Through informing students of this information they are given insight into the process of accessing resources outside of the classroom.
Media literacy is important for students to understand. I believe students specifically need to understand the importance of media delievery. When consumers are distracted by the format, they are can become coursed into beliefs that are not their own. For example, students need to be aware of the Golden Rectangle. The Golden Rectangle has been proven to entice the mind. This rectangle has been used in arts and propaganda to lure the onlooker. For this reason, I inform my students of this reality in hopes to foster their analytical development in regards to media.

 Technology becomes the most prevalent in my classroom when keeping students and families up to date on what is going on in the classroom. Through an online grading system, students and their families can stay reflect on their academic performances. Students evaluate their academic development and are therefore informed about their potential in the class. I find an online grading system is a great way to communicate organized student results.

Students are encouraged toward independence in my class as they are encouraged to set academic goals at the beginning of the semester. Students are then held accountable to make progress toward these goals. Weekly, they must reflect on their development. I then give them feedback about what they have done well and the areas I can see need redirection. This allows students to reflect on the academic experiences and become responsible for the end result.

In my class, students are encourages to come after school and tutor students below their grade level in a lower level of Mathematics. This allows students to see the value in getting help and helping others. When students participate in this activity, they are required to develop an accountability routine with the student they are assisting. They are required to set a standard of achievement they plan to meet by working together. The student receiving the assistance is also required to find another peer to mentor toward academic development. These relationships foster opportunity to work effectively with a diverse group of people.


G.I.S.T. TPE 4 Teaching Candidates address standards to provide comprehensive curriculum through relative materials, at the students' current level of achievement and needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment